The Texas Hill Country is a top location for retirees all year long. During the summer months, it really comes alive with fun activities. If you’re looking for the perfect spot to spend some quality time with the grandkids, look no further. Here is a rundown of some of our favorite fun things to do in the Hill Country with grandkids.
With numerous exhibits intended to engage and inspire kids, the McKenna Children’s Museum is one of New Braunfels’ favorite hangouts for retirees and grandkids. Their newest exhibit is “Destination Space,” with a “simulated excursion into space that allows them to stand at the controls of an interactive spaceship and be totally immersed in a sea of twinkling stars.” More information is available on their website.
Vereins Kirche Museum
For a decidedly different yet equally fascinating experience, visit the Vereins Kirche Museum. Here, a symbol of the area’s German heritage and history of Fredericksburg is depicted through a collection of artifacts and photos. See their website for more details.
Pick a Peach
Visit Marburger Orchard just outside of Fredericksburg, where you can relax under the shade of a peach tree and come way with a treat—or a few dozen. At the orchard you can pick your own peaches, as well as blackberries and strawberries, in season. You can check conditions and get picking schedules on their website.
Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch
If the grandkids like animals and a day at the zoo in the bright sun isn’t sounding great, the Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch may be your answer (truth be told, it’s the answer in any kind of weather!).
The Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch is home to zebra, buffalo, giraffes and nearly 40 other exotic species, many of whom can be hand-fed from your car or by safari bus. The ranch spans more than 400 acres of stunning Hill Country scenery with more than 500 animals. Get more information here.
Schlitterbahn New Braunfels
If the grandkids are begging to get in the water, Schlitterbahn never disappoints. This is arguably one of the very best water parks in Texas, if not the world. There is a reason that I say that. The water park has been named the top water park in the world by Amusement Today for 16 years, with a wide range of activities kids and adults like. Retirees who aren’t looking forward to water coasters and power slides will appreciate the numerous heated pools and private cabanas. Get more information about hours and prices here.
Schlitterbahn isn’t the only place to enjoy the sun and water. At Vintage Oaks, the renowned resort-style amenities include several pools, with one specifically for kids, plus a lazy river. Residents and landowners at Vintage Oaks also love the numerous ball fields, trails, Tuscan-style clubhouse, and stunning Hill Country views.Vintage Oaks is the fastest-selling community in the Texas Hill Country with a variety of homesites and offerings to meet buyer demand including:
- The Canyons is the newest neighborhood in Vintage Oaks featuring high elevations and long views, surrounded by privacy and greenbelts.
- Silver Oaks is a new neighborhood of spectacular 1- to 2.42-acre properties featuring some of the most breathtaking views of the Hill Country’s rolling terrain and majestic oak trees. Offering wooded, cul-de-sac, and view homesites overlooking the Hill Country landscape and dotted with hundred-year-old oak trees. Silver Oaks is within walking distance to many of Vintage Oaks’ amenities, including the Clubhouse, swimming pools, athletic fields and walking trails.
- Champagne Hills is Vintage Oaks’ first gated community in more than two years, offering some of the most spectacular Hill Country views and an air of privacy that is hard to find. The homesites also offer huge oak trees, heavily wooded landscapes, private cul-de-sac sites and green belt locations with direct access to the community’s walking trails.
- The Reserve offers a unique opportunity for homebuyers to call Vintage Oaks home in a whole new way, with all the best of Vintage Oaks living even sooner. The community’s first home-lot packages introduce spacious, family-friendly home plans from two of the nations’ most respected builders Ryland Homes or David Weekley Homes.
- Vineyard Ranch is the perfect option for retirees seeking even more land and privacy. Ideal for horses and privacy, Vineyard Ranch offers 5-14 acre homesites while still providing access to the community amenities within Vintage Oaks.
For more information on Vintage Oaks, visit Vintage Oaks or click below to download the Hill Country Retirement Guide!